Current Mailing and Email Address

Current Address:

Letters and Packages:
Elder Cameron Keysor
Misión San José Costa Rica
Apartado Postal 249-2010
San Jose, Costa Rica

Phone: 506 2234-1940 ( for packages only)

Emails:
cameron.keysor@myldsmail.net

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Baptism & Birthday Party

Hola Familia,

It was a good week for us. We finished this week with the baptism of C. It was a lot of fun and a huge party afterwards. The crazy thing is that we almost didn't have the baptism. We went to go and visit C before his baptism and his Dad told us a crazy story. Friday at school, C was there fooling around like usual, but in the middle of class, he passed out. He fell to the ground and hit his head hard. His dad went to pick him up and the teachers suggested that he should go to the hospital. His dad agreed but right before they left to go to the hospital, his dad started thinking and realized that if they went to the hospital, C wouldn't leave there until Monday at the earliest and so he'd miss his baptism. His dad had the impression to not go to the hospital and instead go home and rest. So they went home instead and asked C what happened and they figured out that he fainted because he didn't eat anything all day. In the end, he got baptized with a huge bruise on his head. 

We also had a meeting with President and the assistants this week. It was a great meeting and it helped us remember our purpose as missionaries. In the middle of the meeting, the assistants asked me to go up front and challenge president Wilkinson to go to church. That was an interesting experience. I really don't remember what I said, I don't know if it went well or not, but in the end he said yes. So that was cool. It was an interesting experience because I thought back to the beginning of my mission and how before I could have never done that and would have been scared out of my pants. It is normal now. Everything we do now is normal.  That was a cool experience to help me see my progression as a missionary. 

But during this meeting President challenged us to ask for references from everyone. So that has been our focus lately. I always ask for references. We have been doing that more and we haven't seen many results from it yet, but yesterday we had a really cool experience. Yesterday we were trying to find less active members and we were walking in the street and we started talking to a random guy. He really didn't want to talk to us but we kept talking and we finally asked him if he knew anyone that we could talk too. He told us that we could talk to his nephew but first asked if we could speak in english. I was like of course, I'm gringo. And in that moment his nephew walked outside of his house. The man said, go talk to him. So I just yelled across the street, "how's it going". He looked up and said "good". We went over and started talking to him in english. He had a thick New York accent. While we were talking to him he asked us what we did and so I began to explain to him that we share a message that is made for the families. In that moment, something caught his attention and he went inside to ask his wife if we could enter the house. His wife was like sure and we went entered the house. We sat down and he told us to explain everything that I told him to his wife. They had a ton of questions and wanted to know everything. We told them that we would like to come back and they said sure. The husband is from Long Island and his wife is tica. They both speak english and don't attend any church because they don't know which church to attend. The crazy thing is that the husband told us that he was about to tell us he wasn't interested but when he heard that our message was about the family, he wanted to know everything because his family is the most important thing to him. It was an amazing experience. I have taught lessons in english before but this lesson was different. I felt the spirit so strong and I knew that there was a reason we were talking to this family. It was a really spiritual experience. And it all started by asking for a reference from a guy that didn't want to listen to us. 

So that is how my week went. It was a crazy week. We didn't have a ton of lessons but we had really great and productive lessons. Plus I was traveling everywhere doing baptismal intereviews. This week we are expecting 15 baptisms in the zone. But we should have anywhere between 15 and 21 baptisms in the zone. We told President that yesterday, and he was shocked. Now the hard part is making sure we have those baptisms. So it will be another busy week. I am getting used to having weeks like these. Today for P-Day, I went and bought a cool version of monopoly to play. It was really fun and a great way to take off the stress. I am learning a lot about time management and leadership lately. It has been good and it is amazing to see how I have progressed spiritually since I started my mission. I also got my first package. It cracked me up because there was only one shoe. Good thing you guys told me before, if not I would have freaked out. 

It sounds like things are great at home. Dad has a cool new assignment with the missionary work. I would recommend that you read all of Preach My Gospel. Not just read it, but study it. It will really help you figure out how to help the missionaries and the members with the mission work. And also watch the Work of Salvation broadcast that they had a while ago. Those things will really help you to get things going in the stake. I dont know how things are there but I have a feeling that the mission work can be a lot better. The girls are getting ready for vacation. That is fun. I don't need more contacts or blue stuff yet. I will let you know when I do. I am on my second journal. Don't worry I write everyday. My comp makes fun of me. So it sounds like things are great at home. Say Hi to everyone in Arizona. I need to send Nana and Tata a letter. But I just haven't had the time to write it yet. I will get on that. I love you guys and have a great week.

Pura Vida,
Elder Keysor
P-Day playing Monopoly.
C's baptism.
His Party after Baptism.