Current Mailing and Email Address

Current Address:

Letters and Packages:
Elder Cameron Keysor
Misión San José Costa Rica
Apartado Postal 249-2010
San Jose, Costa Rica

Phone: 506 2234-1940 ( for packages only)

Emails:
cameron.keysor@myldsmail.net

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Making Friends

Hola Familia,

It was another good week here in Costa Rica. It was a week full of rain. A ton of rain. It has been pouring here and it looks like we will have at least 2 more months of this rain. So that is fun. I have already gotten used to walking around in wet shoes everyday. Besides that it was a great week.

This week we had a meeting with Elder Amado from the Seventy. It was really good and he really helped us learn about the importance of inviting people to baptism. We have been trying to get our zone to realize this and it was good to see someone else talk about the same thing. The biggest news from this meeting was that every companionship here in Costa Rica now has cellphones!! Wow we finally got cellphones. It makes everything so easier now. Before we were using public telephones. Yes, public telephones.  Do they even exist back home anymore?  I got pretty good using the public telephones though. The cellphones will make communicating with everyone so much easier and faster for us.

I had a cool experience this week doing a baptismal interview. The guy knew everything, but was unsure about the sabbath day. In the interview, he told me that a talk in general conference really changed the way he thought about it. The neat thing was that the talk he was talking about was Uncle Kevin's talk. I explained to him that it was my uncle and he was super shocked. From there I talked to him about his challenges and he accepted to be baptized this week. It was really neat to see how Uncle Kevin's talked really affected this guys testimony and I could experience this event.  

I am really liking my area. I am still getting to know a lot of the members, but it is a great ward. The members are helping us a lot and we are really working like crazy. I am really working in 10 areas. I am always traveling to other areas in the zone to help teach them and help them get their areas moving. Every week is exhausting, but it is good because we are starting to see our zone make good changes and starting to raise the bar. We are trying to get ourselves organized and once we get organized, things are going to get moving faster. We are really seeing the results of our hard work pay off. 

I am having a lot of fun. It is stressful but it is really cool when we hear of all the great things that are happening in the zone. We were stressed a little because a baptism fell and the missionaries didn't do anything to save it. We called them and told them to go and look for their investigator. They thought we were crazy, but that night we got a phone call from the investigator crying. She was so happy that the missionaries went looking for her. She just needed someone to talk too. So in the end she got baptized. It was stressful but it paid off in the end. 

It is a little tough without a cook, but I am learning. I will have to cook you guys some rice and beans after the mission. The best thing is that we sometimes receive phone calls from members that just want to invite us over for lunch. So it isn't too bad. I am happy and still learning a lot. I have been really focusing in on my studies more. It is crazy to think back before the mission. I didn't know a thing and now I can use the Bible and the Book of Mormon super easily. It is amazing to see how much I have learned in the short time that I have been here on the mission. 14 months!!! Wow the time is flying by. And 20 years old!! I don't really feel that old. I still feel like a kid. So don't worry mom. The other day we were walking in the street and a homeless guy was selling ties. He had a really cool Chick-fil-a tie. Of course I bought it!! It is funny because we talk to everyone here. This area is really different and there are more people on the streets and it is a little bit more dangerous. The people love talking to us. Everyone knows who we are and when some people start yelling at us, people actually stand up for us and back us up. We are friends here with the homeless people, drug addicts, drug dealers, taxi drivers, bus drivers, the people in the super markets, etc.  It is crazy. Everyone knows us and really respects us. It is fun to see.  

So yeah things are great here. Just loving the mission. I don't know how the mission is there at home. It sounds a little rough. One thing is true that there are always people waiting to hear the gospel. Maybe you have to knock a door or help someone in the street. One thing that I have learned here, is that you can't be a robot. They give us ideas on how to be as missionaries but we need to be ourselves. We are called to serve in these areas for our talents so we have to use those talents. We have to be ourselves and people will respect us and want to know more about what we do. I haven't knocked a door in 5 months. I just talk to everyone I can and it almost never starts out about the church. We talk about sports, the rain, whatever and from there we can talk about the church. Today we were in a taxi and the driver has become a good friend of ours. We really have never talked about the church with him. We usually talk about soccer and our countries. Just like normal people do. Today he told us that he always wondered what we do and had a ton of questions for us. It was really cool because we just acted like ourselves and people come into our paths. I really have learned it is effective here. Maybe it is different in other parts of the world, but it works here and I really love working this way. It is really relaxed and really fun. 

I miss you guys a lot and it sounds like everything is going well at home. Kylie is still playing a ton of soccer. Kendal and homecoming. That is scary. But 100% in Spanish!!  Wow bien hecho hermanita!!!! Keep working hard Dad. You will find something. I love the scripture in Alma 26:27 "Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success." So just keep pushing forward with patience.  Put your faith in God and you will find what you are looking for.  Mom don't worry about the package.  I am here in the mission.  There is no greater gift than being an instrument in the hands of God.  I am happy and that is the only thing that matters.  So don't worry about it.

I love you guys a lot and I am sorry I haven't written that much lately.  Things have been crazy.   I also haven't taken any pictures lately.  I will try to send some soon.  I promise.  Well I love you guys and have an amazing week.  


Pura Vida,
Elder Keysor